One of the things that doesn’t come naturally to me is planning. I am a spur of the moment guy which is fun for me and not so fun for those people around me who aren’t like me. But leaders and successful people plan and so I try to plan well and I try to lead Resolved in planning for the future.
The other day I read through Proverbs to see what it said about planning. Here are a few verses that hit me as I was studying this great book:
- “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.” (Proverbs 3:5-6).
- “Ponder the path of your feet; then all your ways will be sure.” (Proverbs 4:26).
- “For a man’s ways are before the eyes of the Lord, and he ponders all his paths.” (Proverbs 5:21).
- “Where there is no guidance, a people falls, but in an abundance of counselors there is safety.” (Proverbs 11:14).
- “The wisdom of the prudent is to discern his way, but the folly of fools is deceiving.” (Proverbs 14:8).
- “Without counsel plans fail, but with many advisers they succeed.” (Proverbs 15:22).
- “The plans of the heart belong to man, but the answer of the tongue is from the Lord. All the ways of a man are pure in his own eyes, but the Lord weighs the spirit. Commit your work to the Lord, and your plans will be established.” (Proverbs 16:1-3).
- “The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps.” (Proverbs 16:9).
- “There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way to death.” (Proverbs 16:25).
- “The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the Lord.” (Proverbs 16:33).
- “Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand.” (Proverbs 19:21).
- “The purpose in a man’s heart is like deep water, but a man of understanding will draw it out.” (Proverbs 20:5).
- “Plans are established by counsel; by wise guidance wage war.” (Proverbs 20:18).
- “A man’s steps are from the Lord; how then can man understand his way?” (Proverbs 20:24).
- “The plans of the diligent lead surely to abundance, but everyone who is hasty comes only to poverty.” (Proverbs 21:5).
- “For by wise guidance you can wage your war, and in abundance of counselors there is victory.” (Proverbs 24:6).
There are a few things that I glean from these verses:
- God is absolutely Sovereign and all planning we do is done with the acknowledgement that he can do whatever he wants with us and our plans
- We plan in humility knowing God is the one who will ultimately make our plans succeed or fail.
- Good planning takes time. The successful planner ponders and reflects as they plan
- The successful planner plans in consultation with others
- The successful person plans
What about you what do you get out of these verses about planning?
Do you plan well? If so why/why not?
“Those who don’t plan plan to fail.” – John L. Beckley
You may also like: