Fear is a commodity that is highly traded in our world. We are told to be scared of terrorists, persecution, bacteria etc. But one of the biggest things we fear is people. It is hard to lovingly confront someone even if you are right. It is hard to stand up to people and take a stand. But all Christians can and should be courageous.
In Joshua 1 we find an Israel that had every reason to be afraid. Their leader Moses is now dead, they are about to declare war on a number of nations, they had just seen a whole generation of people die in the desert. But God tells them to be strong and courageous 4 times in chapter one. But why should they be strong and courageous?
- God promised to bring a Saviour, and He did. He’s given us the Spirit to give us words, and His words will go out from our mouths and ‘never return empty’ (Isaiah). And so we can be courageous for God because he keeps his promises!
- We remember that we have the word of God in the Bible that encourages us and spurs us on!
- And in Matthew 28 God is with us wherever we go! Imagine that, the God of the universe is with you! Who should you fear if he is on your side?
- God gives us words, by His Spirit, and His words never return empty – take confidence in this.
- God’s word is with us and if we are doing things in accordance with his word we are smack bang in the middle of his will for our lives. So therefore we have courage when we are doing what he call us to do!
- Whenever we enter into situations where we need courage we are never alone God is with us!.