To the Gay community,
As a pastor I want to apologise to you for so much.
- I am sorry that a lot of Christians have not treated you with dignity and respect even though as people you are created in the image of God
- I am sorry that a lot of Christians have not listened to you. We haven’t spent the time to hear about you and your hurts and fears and dreams.
- I am sorry that a lot of Christians (especially the ones on T.V.) talk about being gay as if it is the worst thing even as we turn a blind eye to our greed, gossip, slander and other sins we make excuses for
- I am sorry for TV Evangelists because they are TV Evangelists
- I am sorry that in our conversation we major on your sin when I think Jesus would have majored on his love
- I am sorry that we have not been there for you in your dark times. When you have seen friends die of AIDS. When many from within your number have committed suicide.
- I am sorry that we have not preached against the sin of Homophobia
- I am sorry that we have kept saying that we are all sinners which has made many of you wonder why is being gay so bad if we are all sinners? We should have communicated that the response we all have to make to Gods love is one of repentance.
- I am sorry that we have tried to cure you of your homosexuality instead of helping you see how Jesus transforms who you are and gives you a new identity.
- I am sorry that we have not loved you as God himself loves you.
I am sorry for all these things and I hope you can forgive us. We would love to start a conversation about who Jesus is and how much he has done for you and how much he loves you.